The Hauser Story
In 1959 Bob Rush, a Village Missionary, drove down from a
neighboring town to a rural community called Hauser. He was asked to conduct
worship services for a small group of people, meeting for Sunday School in the
Sunny Hill Community building. After a couple of months of Sunday afternoon
meetings, the people asked Village Missions to send them their own Missionary.
In the fall of 1959, the Alton Williams family came. Under their leadership the
The first project in 1959 was to construct a house for a parsonage and then a basement facility for worship and Sunday School. This was all accomplished by the missionaries and volunteer labor in less than four years.
The J. Q. Hunter family with their six children followed the Williams. For two years they worked hard visiting every home in the community. In this, the lowest-churched county in the nation, the work was difficult and discouraging. There was minimal response and growth.
In 1965, Village Missions sent
A new sanctuary was begun by two of the men, both of whom moved a few months later! With neither men nor money, the Wiggers faced the challenge of their life. With faith in God and a vision to reach the Community, they prayed a lot for God's plan and strength. Evangelistic Bible studies and Friendship Bible Coffees were started to reach people in their homes.
At the same time, mostly with the help of one man (a retired, converted logger), Pastor Wiggers worked on the new sanctuary 35 to 40 hours a week plus all the full duties of a minister. Each month they trusted God to supply money for materials. And He always sent in the amount needed each month.
During the construction process the Lord began to build His church. Men, women and families came to Christ through the Home Bible Studies. Faith and excitement began to build in the congregation as they saw what God was doing. New Christians were trained to guide Bible studies. Those who were reached through the Bible studies came into the church. Within two years, the new sanctuary was dedicated, debt-free, and the church began to support itself.
A couple of years later, another facility was built to provide room for the growing church. Two services were begun each Sunday morning to accommodate the people. It became clear that God was performing a miracle.
In 1975, by faith, a 13,500 sq. foot complex was designed
to meet the envisioned future needs of the
Within a year the church was dealt a staggering blow. The economy took a turn for the worse. People moved away in droves. Almost every week a family or two moved away to find employment. Within two years, more than 200 families left the church and the area.
During this discouraging time, we put a strong emphasis on our small home-Bible-study groups to provide support, meet personal needs and knit the church together. New people continued to come in, though not quite as fast as they moved out.
In the late 1990’s, as the church body began to regain some of it’s former size and health. With three weekend celebrations, including Saturday evening, attendance again averaged around 800-900.
With a growing need for a place where the church could gather to eat and fellowship together, a remodel of the foyer and the addition of the Family Room was begun in the year 2000 and completed in 2003. Again, this project was built by-faith, and dedicated debt-free.
At the end of 2003 Pastor Mel announced his retirement
when he reached 70 years of age. A
search was begun for a successor. Having
been a part of the Village Missions family since the beginning, the elders
asked Village Missions to appoint the next senior pastor. After much prayer,
For many reasons, the church demographics began to shift, with more young families and many more young children. While the overall attendance has remained stable, the church is made up of more young families, and is being stretched in healthy ways as we seek to minister to those the Lord is sending. Our faith is being challenged more each day to trust our great God to supply all our needs and to provide vision, people and finances to reach thousands on the Southern Oregon Coast for Christ.